Florida Academic Advising Association has partnered with Florida A&M to support the Dorothy Henderson Scholars Program (DHSP) for the 2017 Drive-In Conference.
Dorothy Henderson Scholars Program (DHSP), directed by the FAMU Division of Student Affairs, is a campus-based support program for foster and homeless youth as well as students from low socio-economic backgrounds attending Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University (FAMU). The program focuses on successfully assisting students in navigating 7 life domains:
- Education and Academics
- Finances and Employment
- Physical and Mental Health Care
- Supportive Relationships and Community Connections
- Cultural and Personal Identity Formation
- Life Skills for Campus Living and Career Preparation
Our vision is to ensure successful completion of a higher education among foster care and homeless students at Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University.
Our mission is to increase opportunities for young people who have aged out of foster care and/or are homeless to pursue higher education and to provide supports that promote success and well-being throughout the collegiate experience at Florida Agricultural & Mechanical University (FAMU)
FAMU Target Population
There are approximately 180 identified foster care and homeless students at the university (2016)
- Short-term monetary funds to assist students during financial aid gaps or emergency assistance to help with food, laundry, transportation, etc. Donations can be in the form of cash, check, money order, gift cards.
- Long-term monetary funds to provide financial aid assistance for students in extreme situations
- Non-perishable food to support students with food insecurity and students in emergency situations
- Everyday consumable items like toiletries, household cleaning items, toilet tissue paper, utensils, bed sheets, towels, etc., to assist students who are need.
We encourage you to bring one ore or item to donate while attending the conference.
For more information, please contact:
Jovany M. Felix
Director, TRiO Students Support Services (SSS)
Director, Center for Disability Access and Resources( CeDAR)
Florida A&M University
TRiO Student Support Services
640 Gamble Street
Tallahassee, FL 32307